2016 looks to be a bumper year for strategy games, based on the release of XCOM 2 (my current pick for GOTY), Banner Saga 2, Stellaris, Total War: Warhammer, Hearts of Iron IV, and now Civilization VI. While the Civ 6 previews all seem to be based on the same briefing, PC Gamer has also conducted a follow-up interview.
In other news:
- Tim Stone at the Flare Path has a glowing write-up of Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun, Slitherine’s new Japan-themed wargame.
- In a surprise move, Eugen Systems has announced the Netherlands as a new DLC faction for Wargame: Red Dragon. This will be the first paid DLC in the history of the Wargame franchise – all previous updates have been “freeLC”.
- Here is additional detail on Dishonored 2, including the respective powers of its two protagonists (Corvo and Emily), courtesy of PC Gamer.
- Nintendo has confirmed its interest in licensing its IP to movie creators, most likely in the form of CGI or anime.
- RIP the Disney Infinity toys-to-life franchise.