There is something compelling about statistics – especially when they’re our own! I always enjoy seeing what draws you guys here and what makes you stick around; and I thought I’d share the results for last year. See below…
Note: all this data is actually for the 365 days to 10 January. I assume that ten days shouldn’t make too great a difference…
First, how did people find the site? Mostly by searching; Google was the #1 referrer by a truly gigantic margin. The top search terms were dominated by strategy games:
5. Tactics Ogre classes
4. Crusader Kings 2 guide
3. Empire Total War multiplayer campaign
2. Wargame European Escalation
1. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (with and without the colon)
That said, there were also lots and lots of variations on “Lois McMaster Bujold Ivan book” and “Europa Universalis 3 Byzantium” – if I added them up, they’d crack the top five!
If we exclude search engines, the top referrers were:
9. Google Reader
4. The Crusader Kings II wiki
3. Flash of Steel (Cheers, Troy!)
2. Cryptic Comet (And thanks, Vic!)
1. Blue’s News
And last but not least, what people actually read – the most popular posts (excluding the homepage):
8. A sneak peek at Lois McMaster Bujold’s upcoming “Ivan book” – The only top-ten post that related to books rather than games.
4. Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai first impressions – I’m surprised this outranked the actual review!
3. Four things Tactics Ogre does better than FFT (and one it doesn’t) – I compared the two grande dames of tactical RPGs all the way back in 2011. Nice to see people still care about those games!
2. Puzzle or strategy? Byzantium in Europa Universalis III – Another old piece – I wrote it over two years ago, all the way back in January 2011. Never expected it would be this popular!
And the grand prize goes to…